- Linen is wonderful and luxurious. It’s one of the easiest fabrics to care for.
- The smooth and long fibers of linen help resist dirt and stains.
- It gets better with age and softens the more it is washed.
- Linen is highly absorbent and fast-drying, even more so than cotton.
- It is durable and strong, lint-free and resistant to pilling.
- Linen can withstand high temperatures.
- It is inherently eco-friendly. Flax has a short growing cycle, is quickly renewable, and every part of the plant is used.
- Linen has natural antibacterial properties, and is hypoallergenic.
- Products made from linen are valued for their exceptional coolness and freshness in hot and humid conditions. On hot days, they create a cooling effect while during cold weather; linen preserves heat and allows your body to warm up quicker.
Linen Wash and Care Instructions
To keep your linen products looking their best, and to make them last for many years to come, follow our care instructions which are applicable to all of our linen products unless stated otherwise on the individual product page.
Ironically, as strong as Linen may be it does need gentle care.
- Machine wash gentle cycle in cool water.
- Use a mild detergent. Do not use bleach or fabric softener.
- Hang to dry, or tumble dry on low heat and remove while still damp. There is very little to no shrinkage when washed this way.
- Ironing is optional, and much easier to do while your apron is still damp. Some people prefer linen crisp and flat, others like it soft and natural. Use a hot iron with plenty of steam or a spray of water.
- Dry thoroughly before storing. Well-cared for linen will last for generations.
- Remove stains with soap and water while still fresh, before they dry.
- Pre-soaking in mild detergent is very effective in lifting stains.
- Never use bleach which may damage the fibers.
For best results, we recommend that you leave your linen to dry naturally. Using a clothes dryer will weaken the fibers and may cause shrinkage. Avoid drying in direct sunlight as it may cause sun damage and if possible lay it flat after pulling into shape.
All linen products handcrafted by Rochester Mercantile Co. are certified organic by OEKO-TEX.*
* STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® is one of the world’s best-known labels for textiles tested for harmful substances. It stands for customer confidence and high product safety.